Important Notice Regarding H1N1 Influenza Virus

03/11/09 – Added Staying Healthy Information
Staying Healthy Tips for Students
Staying Healthy Tips for Teachers

The Keewatin-Patricia District School Board has reviewed and revised our Pandemic Plan in response to the H1N1 influenza virus. In accordance with the plan, we have established an H1N1 section on our website where updates, educational resources and the Pandemic Plan are posted. We will continue to operate under the guidelines of our Pandemic Plan and will remain in close consultation with public health agencies in our Board area.

On www.kpdsb.on.ca you will find a variety of updates and educational resources for you and your family. Please review the steps that you can take at home while we will continue to encourage students in our schools to follow the procedures needed to minimize the spread of influenza like illnesses. The website will be updated regularly.

Please remember that if your child displays flu-like symptoms, it is important that they stay at home until they are feeling well.

For more information, please visit www.kpdsb.on.ca.

The following memo is also available in PDF format.

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Staff, Parents/Guardians
FROM: Jocelyn Bullock, Human Resources Manager
DATE: September 1, 2009
RE: H1N1 Influenza Virus

This correspondence is to provide further communication and KPDSB specific information with
regard to the above.

• The Keewatin-Patricia District School Board has an established Pandemic Plan and will
continue to operate under the guidelines of that document in close consultation with the
Northwestern Health Unit

• The Operations Committee established under the Pandemic Plan will meet and continue
to develop regular communication for staff and parents

• Our schools continue to operate as per our daily routine

• During the previous school year, proper hygiene (hand-washing and
sneezing/coughing etiquette) were emphasized and these will continue to be
emphasized this year in our schools

• In addition to regular hand washing stations (i.e. sinks throughout the building) – hand
sanitizer stations have been placed in the schools in areas where they are under adult
supervision

• Individuals should be aware that the symptoms of H1N1 or Influenza Like Illness (Ili)
are as follows:
Sore throat
Muscle aches
Joint Pain
Weakness
The virus continues to resemble seasonal influenza in the majority of cases.
Individuals exhibiting flu-like symptoms of sufficient severity that require medical
attention should contact their health care provider or call Telehealth Ontario’s 24/7 line
at 1-866-797-0000

• Students, staff and volunteers who become ill are encouraged to stay home until they no
longer have a fever and are well

• Parents are encouraged to develop contingency plans for child care should their child
become ill

• The Board will continue to review the emerging epidemiology of Influenza Like Illness
as a result of H1N1 and will take the appropriate measures regarding school closures
depending on factors such as the frequency and severity of cases among students, staff
and volunteers, any unique characteristics of the student population, the ability to
continue to operate the school in a safe and healthy manner and the social and economic
impact of any contemplated closure.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact Sheena Valley, Communications
Assistant, at 223-5311 extension 247, or toll free at 1-877-287-5430 extension 247.