Dryden High School Trivia
- Dryden has offered secondary education as early as 1905, though on an informal basis. Dryden Continuation School (DCS) came into existence in 1912 and offered Second Class Matriculation (equivalent to Grade 12). In 1935, DCS evolved to a high school (DHS) when it offered First Class Matriculation (equivalent to Grade 13).
- Three sets of colours have been used as the school colours. In 1928, the colours blue and white were chosen. By 1939 the school colours were red (some sources say maroon), blue and grey. In 1945, blue and gold became the school colours. Blue and gold were chosen because a sporting goods outfitter in Winnipeg had hockey sweaters available only in those colours.
- Three latin mottos have been used as the school motto. The first motto, choosen in 1932, "Difficultates Cotidie Superamus", meaning "Daily we conquer difficulties". In 1939, the motto "Non multa sed multum" meaning "Not many things but much" was used. The significance behind this second motto is to apply oneself wholly to a few important endeavors and not half-heartedly to many different ones. Finally the motto for the school today is "Scientia Prevalebit" which translated means "Knowledge will prevail"
- DHS was the first high school in Canada to offer a course in Forestry.
- Dryden High School has the longest running industry supported conservation camp in Canada. Started in 1957, the outdoor workshop/classroom introduces students to conservation concepts and land use. The camp is presented by high school teachers, people from industry and people from the Ministry of Natural Resources
- The longest running extra-curricular activity in the school is the Literary Society which was formed in 1927. The Literary Society is known today as the Drama Club.
- Football, as it is called today, was known as "rugby" during the 1940s and early 1950s. During the 1930s a few alumni mentioned that it was called "murder ball". Basically one was murdered once they had the ball in their possession. Protective gear such as helmets and shoulder pads were not used until the 1950s!
- Over the past 60 years, a number of student papers have been written by students and published specifically for students. The first such paper was called "The Review" and subsequent papers were called "Dryden High Life" , "The Blue and Gold" , and The Screamin Eagle
- The first school trip was to Expo '67 in Montreal. Approximately one
hundred and seventy students attended. Mr. David Ward, an English teacher
at DHS,organized and chaperoned the trip. Since then numerous school trips
have visited Australia and countries in Europe and Africa. The current
organizer of the school trips is Mrs. Micheline Lovenuk.
- The first student council president was Martin Euler in 1947. The
last student council president was Emma Barron in 2005. Today, Student
council and athletic association activities are under the
auspices of the senior leadership classes.